The Guilty Carnivore tagged me for this a while ago, I’m just now getting down to it. Have great fear.
1. I have never, ever had a dream without a family member appearing in it. Even the traditional “Oh, crap, a monster is chasing me dream!” will have me run by, say, Second Cousin Mike, who’ll wave and say, “Whatcha doin’?” Thanks be to God, I don’t have sexy-type dreams.
2. I am painfully, cripplingly shy. I handle the pain by talking a lot.
3. My love for Neil Diamond’s music is greater than the stars in the sky. I’ve only been to three concerts in my adult life, and one of them was Neil. His was the bestest (sorry, Beastie Boys).
4. I don’t understand women. Which, you know, kinda weird, since I *am* one. Seriously, makeup? What the hell? Cover up the fact you have clogged pores by covering your face with stuff that clogs your pores. Don’t even get me started on pointy-toed high heels and skirts, and crying to get your way.
5. I have a huge fascination with Japan. Yes, I know a lot of geeks of my generation are in the same boat. My fascination, however, can be traced to a throwaway anecdote in an obscure Robert A. Heinlein book I read when I was 12 years old. The story tells of the tiny deer of Nara, which you can FEED OUT OF YOUR HAND! I studied the Japanese language and culture, first on my own and then formally in college. When I got my B.A., I took two weeks and actually traveled to Japan, on my own, with nothing but a passport and 200,000 yen. Finally, FINALLY I made it to Nara. A woman sold me a package of deer cookies, and I got to fulfill a lifetime ambition and feed the insanely cute little deer…
…and one bit me on the ass.
Since I think there are only five people on the entire planet who haven’t done this yet, if you haven’t done this yet, consider yourself tagged.